A place where local trade used to take place, the place still deals with money matters. Situated on Quai Georges V, its atypical design was nonetheless inspired by Perret.
Initially premises where the daily international trade exchanges used to take place, the “Palais de la Bourse”, (Stock Exchange), has seen some changes in the course of time. Originally used as a Stock Exchange, it turned into a Chamber of Commerce and recently became a Casino.
Zavaroni, from Modernism to Classicism!
The Pasino, ex Stock Exchange of the city, was built by Otello Zavaroni in 1957, between the Bassin du Commerce (Commerce Dock) and Jules Ferry Square. Large columns on its front and back facades support a terraced roof, with a 30 metre span.
Zavaroni, who used to teach architecture, chose to erect a building respecting both Classicist and Modernist precepts. When it became a Casino in 2006, the building was restored and kept to the original plans, both inside and outside. The frescoes by Nicolas Untersteller and Paul Lemagny, as well as furniture by Jean Royère were preserved.