Le Havre, World Heritage Site

King's Dock and Notre-Dame Quay.

Historic Docks

The Bassins du Roy, de la Barre and du Commerce (respectively King’s Dock,  Creek Dock and Commerce Dock) are the basis of a geographical lay-out which the first urban grid followed and which will determine the two grids of the reconstructed city.

 

“These massive pits in the city ground and the water that fills them are a physical connecting thread between the present time city and the historic one. Pre-war Le Havre still exists, in virtual fashion, because districts have kept their names, their limits and their identity. Memory of the lost town was taken into account by the Perret Team when they decided on the broad outline of the reconstruction”. 

Joseph Abram

Commerce Dock

In 1787, François Laurent Lamandé presented a plan for enlarging the town, doubling its inner surface by moving the fortifications 500 metres to the North. Commerce Dock, built at the heart of the new town, was inaugurated in 1820. In the nineteenth century it linked the town to the port. The dock width led to defining the urban grid and the blocks lay-out.